~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Monday, April 27, 2009

Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Beggar's Purse



Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Beggar's Purse...This is a cute appetizer or tea sandwich alternative. What I really like about these bundles, is that you can use whatever filling you like. I chose to make mine with smoked salmon, cream cheese, green onion and capers. But you can also make a sour cream and caviar filling, feta basil filling, a sundried tomato filling, sour cream/yoghurt cucumber filling, ham and cheese filling, mushroom filling, egg salad filling...you get the idea:).

It is fun to experiment with ingredients that you like and have on hand. I've even seen these bundles filled with crab /shrimp filling, steak/mushroom filling. So, really the possibilities are endless. I have to admit that these bundles are traditionally tied with chives...a more elegant approach. But here in Montana, where it still feels like winter(it is snowing right now!), we don't have chives so readily available. So I had to use green onion. It actually worked just fine. But if you have the chives, use those ...it will be much prettier.

You can place the bundles on a variety of sauces...best suited with the fillings. I just whipped some cream, added some fresh herbs(can use dill, parsley, cilantro etc.) and seasoned mine. I used my crepe batter for this and added a pinch more salt. You can also add some herbs as well. I halved the crepe recipe as I didn't really want to make too many of them. Also, the amount of filling was about 1 TBS per bundle. I chose to use a 1:1 ratio smoked salmon to cream cheese. Hope you enjoy...

You will need:

10 crepes
10 green chive leaves


Filling:
5 TBS smoked salmon, chopped
5 TBS cream cheese, softened
1-2 green onions/chives
salt
pepper
Mix all ingredients.


Bottom sauce: amounts are approximate...you can change according to taste
1/2 cup of whipped cream, soft peak
2 TBS sour cream
1-2 tsp dill
salt/pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients.


Garnish:
chives/green onions
capers

Directions:
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and dip the chives in the water for about 5 seconds.
2. Remove and place under cold water. Reserve chives on paper towels.
3. Make crepes. I made my own crepe recipe and used only half the amounts. I like to season the crepes a bit more with extra salt. I use an 8 inch skillet to make sure that my crepes are not too big. I usually make them about 5 inches in diameter.


Make Filling:
1. Combine filling ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
2. Take a few crèpes out and place about 1 tablespoon of filing in the center of each one. I like to keep the nicer side of the crepe on the outside(the darker spots on the inside...with the filling)
3. Pull the edges of the crèpe toward the center until they meet. You sort of gather the edges and make pleats. You'll have a ruffle at the top.
4. Tie a reserved chive around the top and make sure the purse is tightly secured.
5. Continue making beggar's purses in the same manner until all crepes are made.


If serving as an appetizer:
Put about a tablespoon of the bottom sauce on a plate and place a bundle on top. Sprinkle with some chopped chives/green onions(my case) and capers. Serve.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

This looks absolutly amazing, I will have to try and let you know how they come out!

Ellie said...

Hi Magadalene,
Thanks for the nice comment.
I hope you like them. Remember, you can use whatever filling you prefer.

chocolatecup said...

looks good!it reminds me of those deep fried things i have here! i think they are made of filo? it tastes yummy:) yours look good of course:)

richsplace said...

These probably taste great, but the name 'Beggar's Purse' is a bit misleading. They are really 'Hobo Knapsacks'

Ellie said...

richsplace,
Here is some info on beggar's purse http://www.answers.com/topic/beggar-s-purse
you will see that it is similar to what I made ...therefore the name. Didn't intend to mislead you in any way.