~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pickled Vegetables (Muraturi)



Pickled Vegetables(Muraturi)....I don't make this recipe that often, but this past winter I ventured to try it again. The recipe might not appeal to too many, but I thought there might be a few who would like to try it someday. Or, maybe it will be good enough just to keep as a reference for myself :).

We often had this dish while growing up. It was often paired with stews, mashed potatoes and fried meat, homemade sausages, a saucy potato dish(mancare de cartofi) and a variety of other dishes. I think our favorite was the crunchy cauliflower, and carrots. We felt there was never enough of those vegetables.

This recipe is so easy to make. The only hard part is the waiting part...the vegetables take some time to pickle. I usually start the pickling process with hot water...it speeds things up. My pickled vegetables took about 2 1/2 weeks...but, it can take longer, depending on the temperature.  I used 7 TBS of KOSHER salt and found it was salty enough. I know that if you don't use the right amount of salt the vegetables can get soft on you.

You can use a variety of vegetables or just a few. I used some red cabbage,which will turn all the vegetables pink:). If you don't like them pink opt for the white cabbage. Hope you enjoy...


Note: Don't use an iodized salt, the fermentation won't work right. 


You will need:


15 cups water
7 TBS Kosher salt
1 heaping TBS Peppercorns
Bunch of dill
2 Bay leaves
5-6 garlic cloves
pepper flakes/jalapeno (if you want spicy)

Vegetables to include any or all of the following:

  • carrots
  • cabbage
  • cauliflower
  • turnips
  • celery
  • rutabaga
  • green tomatoes
  • bell pepper


Directions:1. In a large pot bring to boil the water and the salt. Add seasonings. Set aside.

2. Wash and clean all vegetables well. You may have to cut some vegetables to make sure they fit in the jar /container you are using...maximize the use of the space inside the container.

3. Place vegetables in large glass container that has a lid. I bought mine from a local Wal-Mart. It is supposed to be for peanuts... but holds enough vegetables(family size). Alternately, if you don't have a lid, you can use a plastic bag and a rubber band.

4. Add the seasoned hot water to almost the edge of the rim... but leave some room for the water to "expand"....it will eventually ferment(pickle). You might not need all the water For my type of jar, I used most of the water. I usually use some large celery stalks to hold the vegetables below the water level. Alternately, you can use some clean wood sticks. This will prevent the top vegetables from spoiling.

5. Place container in a warm environment ( I kept mine in my pantry closet...room temperature)to pickle for 2-3 weeks... Check the container especially if you have a tight lid...as once the fermentation begins, some of the liquid can seep out....check on it daily especially the first week or so.
~~During the time you check on the vegetables, you can "aerate" the vegetables a few times(to sort of shake the liquid and sediments that accumulate on the bottom and disperse it throughout the jar.). Remove lid(or plastic) and use one of the methods below:
  • pouring some of the pickling liquid in a bowl and then pour it back in...
  • or as some do, use a plastic tube inserted in the jar to blow air...makes bubbles and in turn mixes the pickling liquid
  • or if using small enough jars just shake it upside down a few times.
Place the lid back on after each "aeration" and keep it covered while the vegetables are pickling.

6. Refrigerate after vegetables have pickled.

7 comments:

Ellie said...

Apoorva,
Thank you so much for your kind comment...made my day!:)
I just love the link you shared. Recipes from scratch,now I like that very much! Very cool site...thanks for sharing.

LShields said...

I've read a few of your posts and really enjoyed your writing style!
Because of your talent, I have just nominated you to receive the “When Life Gives You Lemons” blog award. Even if this is not your first award, please, come to my blog and claim your little bit of sunshine! Congratulations!

Ellie said...

LShields,
Wow...thank you so much for the blog award! You were too generous with your compliments. But, I really am glad that you are enjoying my blog. You sure brought some sunshine(lots of it)in my part of the world...thanks. Also, thanks for being a follower.

Anonymous said...

did your jar have a top that sealed? did you have to boil it in order to seal? how did you seal your jar?

Ellie said...

Anon, Judging by the questions you asked, I'm assuming you are thinking about canning....this version is different than canning in that you don't need to vacuum and seal the jar.
The lid can be removed at anytime in the pickling process...and you don't need a tight seal.
I have adjusted the recipe to make it more clear.

But to answer your questions:

My jar had a lid with a rubber seal.... and I did not boil the jar to seal( too big of a jar to even try)...you just boil the pickling liquid.
I use the lid to "cover" the jar...not "seal".

Hopefully that helps a bit...and that the recipe is clearer.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Ellie! I've been wanting to pickle vegetables and thought I would check out your blog for a recipe..and here it is. Going to try it tomorrow. Only wish we were together.
Susie

Ellie said...

Hi Susie,
I too wish we could do a batch together... it would have been a nice project... so very "Fallish".
But since you are going to make a batch, I decided to make one too:)....added a few green tomatoes from my garden. Hopefully they will turn into "gogonele"...
Now for the waiting part...that's always hard:)
I sure hope it will be a good batch:) ...and that you'll have fun making yours.
Ah, I should make regular pickles one day...I'd be munching on them all day:).
Thanks for the visit...and have a wonderful day!