~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Friday, April 24, 2009

Citrus Flavored Ricotta Cookies




Ricotta Cookies...I had some ricotta cheese left over and I wanted to make something different with it. I knew I could do lasagna, manicotti, stuffed shells...but I wanted something outside the pasta world. I also knew that I could make a ricotta cake, ricotta pancakes or maybe even muffins. But, I had a lot of ricotta to use... 2 cups to be exact.

Then I remembered a cookie recipe that Giada had made on Food network Her recipe used quite a lot of ricotta. So I found the recipe and immediately made it....you can see her version here. I actually changed her recipe a bit... added some flavors that I knew my husband would love.

I  substituted orange peel for the lemon and added some almond flavor along with some unsweetened coconut. They were a hit... wonderful and full of flavor! They were sooo soft and moist ...sort of like upscale madelines.You could see the orange zest throughout the cookies...so pretty. These cookies are really good! We loved them. Hope you enjoy...

Note: You can experiment with your own flavors or stick to the original. I am sure you won't be disappointed. Next time, I think I will drizzle some chocolate ganache(updated see photos) and maybe dip them in chocolate...oh, maybe that would be too much! But, I hope you will try them...

You will need:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 TBS orange zest
1 tsp almond flavor
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional...skip if you don't care for coconut)

Glaze: I made my own(I didn't want to make too much) ...but you can use Giada's recipe if you prefer1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1-2 tsp milk
a bit of almond flavor

To make the icing, place all ingredients in a plastic bag and mix until it comes together.
If it is too dry: add more milk a bit at a time.
If it is too runny: add a bit of powdered sugar to bring it to the right consistency.
You don't want it to be too runny. You want the icing to stay on the cookie.

Directions:
~Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

1. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In the large bowl combine the butter and the sugar. Make sure the butter is softened.
3. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated.


4. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and orange zest. Beat to combine.


5. Stir in the dry ingredients.
6. Lastly, add the coconut and stir just till combined.



7. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon the dough (about 2 tablespoons for each cookie) onto the baking sheets. I used an ice cream scoop that was half filled....I noticed it was a breeze using it.


8. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.


9. Drizzle icing. You can also melt some chocolate and drizzle over the cookies for a more dramatic look:)....


These cookies freeze well. They are still moist and just as delicious!

No comments: