Polenta Bites...a hot appetizer. I immediately decided to make some polenta bites after being inspired by Mari's polenta cakes on Once Upon a Plate. They looked so simple and good... and I just had some leftover polenta:). I was happy to make them....
Polenta bites. Different. Simple. Tasty. If you are looking for a New Year's hot appetizer, you might want to give these a try. I noticed that you definitely need a salty component to have the polenta bites come together. I chose to use some prosciutto, but you can use some anchovies (as Mari used at Once Upon a Plate) or a saltier cheese... such as feta. I had these fresh marinated mozzarella balls along with some grape tomatoes and some homemade roasted bell pepper...and that is what I ended up using. I am posting this more as an idea, as the recipe is pretty much straightforward...so feel free to be creative. In case you ever have leftover polenta, you might want to give these polenta bites a try. Definitely brings polenta leftovers up to a new level. Hope you enjoy...
You will need: inspired by Once Upon a Plate
marinated mozzarella balls, cut in half*
cherry/grape tomatoes, cut in half**
prosciutto, cut in strips
*you could also use some feta, manchego, parmesan or your favorite cheese
** you could also use some roasted bell pepper strips
1. Make polenta. Pour hot polenta in a flat pan to about 1 inch in height(or a little less...if too thick the polenta can be too much in comparison to the toppings).
2. Refrigerate until hardened.
3. Cut shapes and top with cherry/grape tomato(or roasted red bell pepper), mozzarella, and strip of prosciutto. Sprinkle a few chile flakes, if desired.
4. Drizzle with a bit of the marinated olive oil that comes with the mozzarella(or plain olive oil mixed with fresh herbs).
5. Broil until cheese is melted...sprinkle additional herbs if desired. Serve hot.