Open Faced Mushroom, Mozzarella, and Prosciutto Sandwich...a great Tapas dish. Because we love mushrooms, here is yet another mushroom recipe:)...This particular dish was actually inspired by our recent trip to Spain. Tapas, in general, are just smaller portions of Spanish cuisine often served between meals....The funny thing is that you can you can easily make a meal out of tapas:). I guess it's because they have so many varieties. You can't just have one...especially if the tapas are on the small side. So you order a few, and before you know it...well, you're stuffed. Anyway, my husband and I ended up eating at a nice restaurant that served some really tasty tapas. Each dish was not only beautifully presented, but it arrived piping hot. We were more interested in the hot tapas, as we had already tried the cold version of the tapas days earlier. In any case, one of the dishes we tried was this really delicious open-faced mushroom sandwich with melted cheese and a shaving of Iberico ham. It was so delicious that I instantly knew I had to make it when we got home. I finally made it...my way:).
It's a very simple open-faced type of sandwich that can be prepared rather quickly. The sandwich can easily double up as an appetizer or a light lunch. In Spain, the sandwich was topped with their famous Iberico Ham, but I ended up using some prosciutto for ours. If you want to go vegetarian, opt for skipping the ham altogether.... I suppose then the dish can easily be called a "mushroom bruschetta".
I ended up placing a whole piece of prosciutto on top, just as it was done in Spain. But you can easily cut the prosciutto in smaller pieces, if you like. I think it will just be easier to eat that way.... So if you need an idea for a light lunch, or an an appetizer, or when you are entertaining this New Year's, you might want to give this recipe a try. We rather liked it. Hope you enjoy...
You will need:
8 oz mushrooms, sliced( I used baby bella)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBS olive oil
1-2 TBS stock, water, or a splash of white wine
6-8 marinated fresh mozzarella balls, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley, or herbs from the marinated oil
2-3 proscuitto slices, cut in strips or in half
3 pieces of baguette bread( 3 inch), cut in half lengthwise
1. Cut and lightly toast bread. Toasting the bread is optional. Set aside.
2. Clean mushrooms and slice. Mince garlic and set aside.
3. Heat skillet( medium heat) and add a drizzle of olive oil( about 1 TBS). Add sliced mushrooms.
4. Cook turning every so often until the mushrooms catch a golden color. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add some wine/stock to loosen any caramelized bits from the pan...lower heat if need be.
6. Add the garlic( chile flakes, if desired), and a bit of butter or marinated oil( from the mozzarella cheese ) to finish the dish.
7. Top sliced bread with mushrooms and place a few slices of mozzarella on top of the mushrooms.
8. Place open faced sandwiches under broiler and broil until cheese melts.
9. Top with prosciutto, if desired.