Chicken Pomodoro...Quick Dinners Part 2
Here is the second part of the quick dinners made with chicken breasts. I really liked this version ...the combination of cream and tomatoes is quite delicious. Well, cream always makes things taste better:). The amount of cream you want to use in this recipe is really up to you. Use as much as you like.... You will see that I poured a bit more cream than the 2 TBS the recipe required...that's only because I poured as I snatched the picture:) You know, even though the original recipe has 2 TBS of cream listed, I just found it better with a splash more... maybe a bit more than a splash:)...probably 1/4 cup. By the way, did you know that a 1/4 cup is only 4 TBS?... just a side note:).
Anyway, at the time I made this recipe, I didn't have any scallions, so I had to improvise. I noticed I had some cilantro in the fridge...why not... so, I substituted some cilantro instead. But, if you have some scallions, I think it would be good to use them. Again, this uses the same sort of technique like the Chicken Picatta, so it is great to have another variation. It yields a different result and tastes different. You can decrease the 2 TBS of lemon juice in the recipe, if you like. The lemon juice can curdle your cream a bit.... though I used the whole amount of lemon juice when I made the recipe. Feel free to make it as you like....just thought I would mention that. I am, however, posting the original recipe as found in the Cuisine-at-Home magazine with my suggestions/alterations. Hope you enjoy...
You will need:adapted from Cuisine-at-Home
4 chicken cutlets( I used 3)
2 TBS oil
1/4 cup wine or chicken stock
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 TBS fresh lemon juice( you can use less if you like)
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped( you can also use some cherry tomatoes)
2-4 TBS heavy cream
1/3 cup scallions, minced( I didn't have any but it would be great to add)
salt and pepper to taste
flour for dredging
~you can easily add some chopped garlic to the sauce...I think I did add some for the health benefits:)
1. Season cutlets with salt and pepper. You can pound the chicken to make it thinner...it will cook much faster, as well.
2. Dredge in flour shaking off excess.
3. Add oil to skillet and saute chicken for a couple of minutes on each side.
4. Transfer to a platter and pour off fat(if any).
5. Deglaze pan with 1/4 cup wine(or chicken stock). Cook for about 2 minutes.
6. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock and lemon juice....you can add some garlic if you like(purely optional).
7. Return chicken cutlets to pan and cook for one minute on each side.
8. Remove the chicken and place on a warm serving platter.
9. To the skillet and sauce add the tomatoes and cream. Make sure your heat is on low and just heat through for about a minute or so. You don't want the cream to boil.
10. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with scallions. I added some chopped cilantro since I didn't have any scallions.