~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Friday, February 5, 2010

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies...with Orange flavor!




Double Chocolate Chip Cookies...with Orange flavor!
This is one amazing CHOCOLATY cookie! I just had to share it with you. The neat part...it's made from scratch! No box mix, and it's just as easy to make. It really couldn't be any easier. The recipe is from AllRecipes of all places...love that site. You can adjust amount of servings, in case you don't want to make the whole batch. I cut mine in half. It is one great recipe to have on hand.... I hope I never lose it. I should write it down somewhere, in case blogger crashes on me:) Seriously, if you love chocolate and cookies, you will probably like this cookie. Its chocolaty, chewy, and fudgy. Sort of like a brownie. Oh, did I say it was chocolaty?:) Can't stress that enough... Definitely NOT for the fainthearted.
This cookie recipe does not require you to melt any chocolate. It is simple and quick. You use cocoa instead. As much as I like to use melted chocolate in my desserts, using the cocoa brought excellent results. I really couldn't tell the difference. Not to mention that it costs less and eliminates washing too many pots/pans. I like to use the Hershey's Special DARK cocoa. It is a special blend of natural cocoa and dutch processed cocoa. The dutch processed cocoa provides a more intense chocolate flavor. I have not made it with the regular cocoa...but, I am sure it would be just as good. The first time I made this recipe(actually, my husband made it:) ....we followed the recipe as written. It was very, very good. But we both felt it was a tad too sweet(warm out of the oven). It lost some of its sweetness the second day. The second time around, I decreased the sugar amount. It was wonderful! I think I will make it that way from now on. Please feel free to make the original version.... We also felt that it would benefit from some type of flavoring...otherwise, it becomes just another chocolate cookie(a good one at that!). But, if you are cooking at home, why not make it your own? I like to add additional flavorings just to make the cookie even more special. Then you will know that it isn't store-bought. Orange peel/extract is a really good one, as well as peppermint or raspberry. Nuts are optional. You can top the cookies with just a few nuts, instead of mixing it in the cookie dough. Try varying the chocolate chips for variety. If you don't want your cookies to be too chocolaty, omit the chocolate chips. Either way, the base for the cookie dough is wonderful. It comes together so quickly, even the kids can whip up a batch.
You can also freeze the cookie dough. Just make cookie balls, freeze till hardened, and place in a freezer bag. This way you have ready-made cookie dough at your fingertips....ready to be baked, any time of the day:). These cookies are a perfect gift for sharing...give it to a friend, co-worker, or neighbor. Wrap them in a nice box and tie a pretty ribbon...it will brighten their day. Hope you enjoy...
You will need: Adapted from AllRecipes
Makes about 20 cookies, the original recipe was doubled...I halved it.
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar (I used 1/2 cup...)
1 eggs
2 tsps orange zest
1 tsp orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder ( I used Hershey's Special DARK Cocoa)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (reserve some for topping)
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional...I just topped a few with some pecans)
Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

1. In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the zest here too:)
2. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt;
3.Stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
4. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheets. I usually roll the dough in my hands to form a ball. Place some nuts or chocolate chips on top of the rounded cookie dough, slightly pushing them in the dough. This way they won't fall off when baked.
5. Refrigerate cookies for 15-20 minutes, while you clean up and preheat the oven.
6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set.
7. Cool slightly on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

8 comments:

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Very tempting....will the chocolate chips melt while baking?Your looks perfect.

Mindy said...

I was so happy to see how many followers you have now! That is great. You are too wonderful to keep a secret. Keep cooking, you inspire the rest of us.

Speranta said...

Imi place cum arata ...cred ca sunt deliciosi ...o sa incerc si eu

Ellie said...

Sailaja,
No the chips will not melt.They will get soft, but keep their shape and harden as they cool.

Mindy,
Thanks for dropping by. Always sweet to hear from you! May the Lord bless you.

Speranta,
Imi pare foarte bine ca iti place. Sant foarte usori de facut. Sa ai o zi binecuvantata.~Ellie

Liz said...

Hi Ellie,
Just giving you more compliments on your recipes. I made orange flavored with regular chocolate chips and mint flavored with mint chocolate chips. Both were delicious. I'm thinking of making raspberry flavored next. :)

Ellie said...

Hi Liz, You're too sweet:)! Thank you for your kind words and sharing your feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed both flavors... Raspberry sounds good too:). I'm always touched by your comments, so thank you for stopping by.

Liz said...

Hi Ellie,

I finally made these with raspberry flavoring, jtlyk they are fantastic! I don't know why I have such trouble with the bread recipes, but the cookie recipes come out totally awesome. I'm not complaining tho. :) I hope your move went well.

Ellie said...

Hi Liz:)... So glad to hear you enjoyed the cookies with the raspberry flavor. And I am glad you are enjoying the cookies even though the bread recipes are a bit more challenging. But I am still awed at your persistence:). You know, bread recipes get easier and easier after some practice... and then there are done bread recipes that aren't worth the trouble:).... sometimes you have to stick with what works best for you.

I am slowly learning to adjust my recipes with the new move... I am at a lower elevation now, and I have a gas stove instead of electric! So far I've made the soft dinner rolls that we love ( somewhere in my recipe index)and I noticed I needed to let the dough rise a bit longer. But they still came out delicious.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your feedback... I appreciate it! Wishing you a blessed day!