~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Chocolate Banana Bread


Chocolate Banana Bread.... I loved this Banana Bread. It was quite moist and delicious. Actually, I made a mistake when I made this bread. But, I really like the mistake that I made and will probably be making it like this from now on:).

The original recipe has you make a variation to the classic Banana Bread. You can add chocolate chunks into the batter and decrease the sugar amount. Well, when I read through the variation I got excited with the idea(or my mistaken idea)...I must have read wrong as I assumed it said cocoa. SO, I thought how neat!...a chocolate banana bread! What a great idea! Well, I continued with that "idea" and added the amount it called for in chocolate chunks with cocoa instead. I also decreased the amount of sugar. The result was awesome...I really liked it! But, you can try the original recipe and do the variation as it calls for using chocolate chunks. Or, you can do mine and see if you like it as well(and you don't have to decrease the amount of sugar if you don't want to). Hope you enjoy...

Note:~I usually freeze my breads...I noticed that they are more moist using this method, and the flavors more pronounced...the only problem is you have to wait:).

My Variation: Reduce the sugar to 10 TBS and add a heaping 1/2 cup grated bittersweet chocolate to the flour mixture. OR to make my mistake add 1/2 cup of cocoa to the flour mixture and reduce the sugar to 10 TBS!

You will need: the original banana bread recipe. ~adapted from America's Kitchen Family Baking Book

2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large very ripe bananas, mashed well (1 1/2 cups)
6 TBS (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
1/4 cup whole or low-fat plain yogurt (I used sour cream)
1 tsp vanilla extract (you can add rum,orange or any other flavoring you want)
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped or macadamia and toasted coconut(1 cup)

Directions:
1. Adjust an oven rack to lower -middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.( I always add a piece of parchment on the bottom to ensure total release)
3. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, melted butter, eggs, yogurt and vanilla together.
5. Gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined(do not over mix).
6. Fold in the walnuts(if using) the batter will look thick and chunky.
7. Scrape the batter into the greased pan and smooth the top.
8. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 55 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking.
9. Let the loaf cool in the pan 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool for 1 hour before serving.

No comments: