~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Grain- Free Plantain Waffles

Grain-Free/ Nut-Free Plantain Waffles... Have you ever had waffles made with plantains? Ok, do you find yourself even buying plantains? Well, if you're anything like me, you would be curious to find out that plantain waffles are possible. Ok, so these waffles are a bit softer than the traditional crisp waffles.... but waffles nevertheless:). Actually, they do crisp up rather nicely if you place them in the toaster oven to bake further.

The first time I had plantain waffles was maybe about a half year ago, when my husband and I were visiting family. We had on overnight flight and were arriving early in the morning hours. My sister-in-law greeted us with these freshly made and delicious plantain waffles. Along with maple syrup and some great coffee we were set for the day. 

I was so amazed with the waffles that I knew I was going to make them when I got home. While my sister-in-law used some almond butter and some other good stuff, I have provided the basic recipe.You can adjust to your liking by adding some chia seeds, flax seeds, etc.

Yes, these waffles are gluten-free, and contain no flour of any kind. While these are great for breakfast as a sweet alternative, you can easily turn them into something a bit more savory... and serve them when you need some type of  "bread". I think they'd be especially good as a sandwich, for those days when you need something on the go. 

I should mention, that if you don't have a waffle maker... you can just turn them into pancakes:). Hope you enjoy...


Ingredients: adapted from PaleoMom

3 large green * plantains (about 2 cups pureed), mine were on the small side and I used 4
4 large eggs
2 tsps vanilla 
3 TBS extra virgin coconut oil/butter, I used a combination
2 TBS coconut sugar, can be optional, you can add more if you like
1/8 tsp salt, or to taste
½ tsp baking soda
cinnamon, nutmeg, or any other flavorings you like

*Note:While I specify green plantains, I've also made the waffles using somewhat yellow plantains, which also works...  in case you buy the green and don't get the chance to make the waffles then and there:)

Directions:

1. Quarter and peel plantains. 
2. Place plantain pieces in blender and blend till smooth, or until consistency of play-dough. 
3. Add eggs and blend again till you get a smooth batter.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and process on high for an additional 1-2 minute or until you get a really good smooth batter.
5. Preheat waffle maker and add about 1/2 cup batter, or as much/ little as your  waffle maker takes. 
6. Repeat with remaining batter.
7. Serve with maple syrup and fruits if desired.

6 comments:

JuneN said...

Hi Ellie,
I'm at Leresti and was looking up your Banana Bars recipe when I saw this one. I'm glad you loved the plantain waffles enough to put the recipe up. We eat them once a week, sometimes twice. We never get tired of them. I like your savory waffles idea. Hope to see you again soon. Love, June.

Ellie said...

Oh, June.... Your comment made my day:)! Thank you for your love and sharing these amazing plantain waffles with us. I owe this recipe to you:)... and the wonderful memories we shared together on our visit. I love that I can make these and freeze them... and pull them out when we want something sweet:). I haven't yet tried a savory version, but can only imagine how good they would be with some chicken salad or even tuna.

I am so glad you stopped by and hope you are enjoying Leresti, as well as the rest of your vacation. You put a smile on my face this morning:). Love you...

JuneN said...

I love putting smiles on your face😊. BTW, the recipe I have mixes in one ripe banana at the end with the spices. It gives it more flavor, if you don't care for the green/earthy plantain taste. Also, they do taste good cold (maybe even better). I ate leftover ones for lunch and they
were even better than hot, IMO.

Ellie said...

Thanks June😊! And thank you for the tip to add a banana... never thought of it, but it sounds brilliant. You know, I've noticed some baked goods do taste better cold, so I should try it next time. Actually, I think I have 4 of them in the freezer right now:). Been thinking lately to add even some apple pieces to the batter, or add some pumpkin/sweet potato?... just to vary them. But I love how you can adapt them, which is a plus!

JuneN said...

I tried apples and blueberry in the batter and for some reason they stuck really bad to the waffle iron (especially the blueberries ones). On the other hand, chocolate chips did not stick if you grease it in between. They taste really good with the chocolate chips, BTW.

Ellie said...

Well, that's good to know about the apples and blueberries. Thank you! I guess I'll just stick with topping them with the fresh fruits:). Chocolate chip sounds great too! Appreciate all your tips June... and I'm sure all those who try the recipe.