~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Friday, February 7, 2014

Furikake... a roasted seaweed condiment.

Furikake... a roasted seaweed condiment. Some time ago, I purchased quite a bit of roasted seaweed... a Korean type of seaweed. Now, the Korean laver is quite a bit different than the Japanese nori... it's thinner, and quite fragile. I like it because it has a milder taste, and because it's seasoned, you can eat it on its own. 

You'll find the Korean seaweed has become quite popular as a snack, and while it was more difficult to find years ago, it's now readily available in most supermarkets. They're usually located in small packets near the Asian condiments.

It's much cheaper for me to stock up on pantry items whenever I go visit family down south. I usually make it a point to stock up on items that I can't find here in Montana(though more and more items are now available here as well).... this  normally means more of the Asian condiments. You can find bulk items in most Asian stores, so it's much cheaper buying in bulk. In any case, one day I was looking in my pantry and noticed I had quite a bit of the roasted seaweed. The expiration date was  quickly approaching, so I knew I needed to use it soon. 

I had seen different Japanese condiments at my local natural food store... from gomasio to furikake to togarashi. But they were always a bit expensive. I immediately thought of making my one version of the Japanese style seasoning. Furikake is a Japanese condiment that uses traditional Japanese nori, but I used my Korean laver to make my own version of "furikake". Of course, you can use  the traditional nori sheets, but you will need to add some salt to the mix.

I made my first "furikake "batch a year or so ago... and LOVED it! Been making it ever since. So when I was mixing a batch of my seaweed condiment recently, I thought to share it. Maybe some of you might be interested in trying it.... especially if you enjoy eating the seaweed as a snack. 

Furikake seasoning can vary... you can add all sorts of ingredients to the basic seaweed, sesame, sugar and salt mix. I LOVE the flavor of dried onion powder, but you can use other ingredients of choice. I've listed some options below. Even the basic mix is flavorful on its own. And you can adjust amounts to suit your own taste. 

This roasted seaweed seasoning is so versatile. You can use it in all sorts of dishes. It's good over rice(of course:)), or poached fish, as a topping for the popular Hawaiian poke(raw tuna salad), over potatoes, over eggs, in salads, in soups, over popcorn, as a chex mix seasoning... I mean I could go on... basically over everything:). Lately, I've been topping my cooked quinoa with this seasoning... and it's absolutely delicious. However you use it, it's a great little condiment that merits its space here on the blog. Hope you enjoy...     

Tip: Now, these measurements are just a guide, you can easily use more or less of each ingredient... it really doesn't have to be exact.

You will need:

20 grams roasted seasoned seaweed( I use a Korean dried seaweed, that's seasoned)*
7 TBS toasted sesame seeds(or raw, then toast)
1/2 tsp dried onion powder
1/2 tsp sugar
*you can use Japanese nori(for sushi rolls), but you will probably need to add some salt.

Additional Options: these are ideas only 
chile flakes
dried ginger
dried bonito flakes
dried miso
dried vegetables

Directions: 
1. If using raw sesame seeds: Heat skillet on medium heat, add sesame seeds and toast till golden and fragrant  stir often so as not to burn... a couple of minutes or so. Remove seeds and set aside to cool.
2. Cut seaweed in pieces and place in a bowl of a food processor. Add the sesame seeds, onion powder, and sugar.... and any other optional ingredients you desire.
3. Process until seaweed is the size of  rice and everything is fully combined.
4. Store in a sealed container... in the refrigerator or freezer.  
5. Use as a topping on about everything:)...   

3 comments:

kristyreal said...

I am a long-time subscriber and enjoy your posts very much. I'm a big fan of gamasio and use it to top many things(rice, quinoa, potatoes, salads), but have never seen furikake in any of my stores. I could easily make it from things in my pantry, but would love to see some suggestions for usage.

Ellie said...

Kristyreal, Oh, that means a ton! Thanks for being a reader!

Well, furikake was mainly a condiment used for topping rice. But it can easily be used as you would gamasio. It's definitely a condiment that can be used on a variety of other foods. Besides the suggestions I made in my intro, you could use it in other dishes...

Here are a few other suggestions:

1)you could use it as part of a bread crumb seasoning
2)a coating for fish
3)tossed with pasta
4)with stir fried vegetables
5)used as a topping for deviled eggs
6)in omelettes
7)with tofu
8)in coleslaw
9)over avocado
10)in marinades
11)over fries

Hope these extra suggestions help... on top of the others I mentioned in my intro.

I'm hoping you can make your own version and come up with other uses as you experiment. I'd love to hear of them:). But have fun with it.... it can bring in a ton of flavor to many bland foods. I could eat the condiment by the spoonful:)

Thanks a ton for stopping by. Really appreciate it!

http://www.mytaste.com/ said...

Hi homecookinginmontana,

This is the second time we contacted you about your blog and this is just a follow up. If this message disturbs you, I apologize. We will make sure that this would be our last message that regards to our project.

We MyTaste.com, one of the biggest recipe search engine in United States, Canada and in the world, would like to invite your blog to join our site and make your recipes available to many people.

This is one way to share your recipes to the world and it can also help you to increase your blog traffic.

If you like it, you can join through this link www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog.

Best regards,