~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Chocolate-Avocado Mousse "Torte"... Dairy, Egg, Gluten Free

No Bake, Chocolate-Avocado Mousse "Torte"... Dairy, Egg, Gluten Free. When I came across this recipe for a no-bake version of a chocolate torte, I thought: "Well, this would be a great recipe to have in my dessert collection!" Honestly, I was really attracted to the idea of using avocados to make a chocolate "torte". I mean really... avocados? OK, I've used avocados to cut down the butter amount when making cookies. And I've been aware of using avocado to make ice cream and chocolate pudding. Yet, somehow the ice cream and pudding just didn't grab my attention as the chocolate torte did. I mean a torte always sounds fancy... and so European:).

But the thing about this dessert is that it can easily double up as 2 types of desserts... a chocolate "pudding" or a "torte". If you don't have the ingredients for the crust, then you can opt to make a "pudding" instead, served with some fresh berries or other  ingredients of choice. The really nice part about this dessert is that it only takes a matter of minutes to put together and you can make it ahead as well... which is always great. Served frozen, the "torte" has a fudge/truffle-like texture. Served at room temperature, the "torte" becomes more of a "cream/pudding" pie. Neither is bad... it's just left to one's own preference as how it is served.

Now I have to say that for being a no-bake, healthy sort of "torte", you probably won't pick out the avocado...well, unless you have a real, real sensitive palate, or if someone tells you there's avocado in it:). In either case, I can't say this chocolate-avocado is for everyone. I mean I've had people who loved the "torte"... and others not so much (not that they disliked it, it just wasn't their thing). But I personally think the recipe is great,... worthy of being tried at least once. You just never know, it might become a favorite:). I also like the fact that it's a no-bake dessert and rather quick to make... plus, it would also fall in the category of vegan, gluten-free, dairy and egg-free. Oh, and avocado is really good for you:). Hope you enjoy...

Note: The "torte" softens rather quickly after being frozen, so if you like yours firm, opt to serve it frozen. Otherwise, it will be more like a "cream/pudding" pie.... which isn't necessarily bad:).

Tip: You can skip the crust and make a mousse/pudding only dessert... it's really great with fresh berries!

You will need: inspired by OhSheGlows... makes 2 (4inch) tarts. You could easily double and make an 8 inch tart.  Do check the original, as I increased the cocoa powder for mine and the maple syrup a tad bit ... as well as omitting a nut milk.

Crust:
1 cup pecans
2 TBS maple syrup
1 TBS coconut oil
2 TBS dark cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Chocolate-Avocado Mousse/Pudding:
1 large ripe avocado (about a heaping cup)
1/3 cup +1 TBS real maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
3 TBS dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup + 1 TBS chocolate chips
2 TBS sunflower seed butter(or you could use peanut/almond butter)
pinch of salt
1/2 - 1 tsp vanilla extract (or other extract of choice)

Directions:
Make Crust
1. Add all of the crust ingredients in a food processor and process till combined.... about a minute or so. You want to still have some texture from the nuts. It's probably best to pulse a few times, check... pulse again, check... don't over process.
2. Divide mixture in 2 and  scoop out half and place in one of the removable bottom tart pans... you can use parchment paper if you like. Spread the crust mixture evenly  to cover  the bottom of the tart pan. Do the same with the second tart pan.
3. Freeze crust while you make filling.   

Make Chocolate-Avocado Mousse/Pudding:
1. Cut avocado in half and scoop out flesh. Place in bowl of food processor( I just use the same bowl I make the crust in without cleaning it).
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips. Process until super-smooth.
3. Melt chocolate chips, then add the melted chocolate to the avocado puree. Process til combined and smooth.

Assemble:
1. Remove the tart shells from freezer. Divide chocolate filling in 2. 
2. Top crust with chocolate filling. Smooth out. Do the same for the second tart. 
3. Freeze tarts for 2 hours... or overnight. Serve chilled. Top with berries.  




4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hi Ellie,

I'm a fellow Montana food blogger. I was delighted to discover your blog. All your dishes sound wonderful! I'd love to stay in touch with you (BTW, I'm from Great Falls).

Ellie said...

Hi Rhonda, Great to hear from a fellow food blogger and Montanan... so glad you like the blog. Welcome:)!
Feel free to take a look around... and stay awhile:).


Roxana said...

Hi Ellie, this has been my my go to cake recipe for years, the only cake I make in fact, I love how easy it is to make, and how satisfying! I wanted to leave you a note here as well, since I made this recipe sooo many times! Best wishes, -Roxana

Ellie said...

Hi Roxana, Awww, thank you for your sweetness! I’m so glad to hear this recipe is a favorite. It truly is satisfying… and yet not so heavy as other desserts.
Thank you again for stopping by and leaving a comment to cheer my day. I really appreciate it!
Have a wonderful day!