~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Roast Chicken with 2 Lemons (Marcella Hazan)...and Semi-Roasted Potatoes


Roast Chicken with 2 Lemons (Marcella Hazan)...and Semi-Roasted Potatoes.
I am so used to taking pictures of my recipes that it has now become second nature:)...there are quite a few recipes that actually don't make it on the blog...some due to me not totally liking the recipe, some because I forgot exactly what I put in it:), and some because I didn't capture a good enough final picture. But this recipe got posted anyway...even with a not-so-good picture....
It just so happened that I made the chicken for lunch one day with the intention of posting the recipe...last minute, I quickly realized that time was running out. I needed to set the table, yet I still wanted(needed) to take the final photo....(sidenote: Ok, I am simply amazed with my husband's patience ... how he lets me click away...trying to capture the right photo of whatever dish I have prepared...waiting ever-so-patiently to eat). Most times I tend to be ready....
In any case, I managed to grab a dinner plate and a few potato slices for garnish and realized the chicken and the potatoes weren't exactly going to fit on a dinner plate...snapped the picture anyway, and sort of gave up on ever posting the recipe. Believe me, I debated if I should post the recipe. But since I rather liked this variation of making roast chicken, I decided against my better judgement to post the recipe:).
The method is a bit different than the regular oven-roasted chicken. This result gives you a moist and golden brown chicken... without using the brining method( which I really like by the way). It actually mimics the popular "beer can" method of roasting chicken.... but instead of using a beer can or pepsi can for that matter...2 small lemons are used instead. I rather like that... because you get this lemony flavor as well. Many of you might already know of this 2 lemon roasted chicken recipe, but in case you haven't yet come across this recipe before....well... I thought I'd share it. Feel free to season your chicken with any other favorite spices you might like. Hope you enjoy...

You will need: adapted from Marcella Hazan.... chicken needs no additional butter, oil...it is self-basting.

1 whole chicken
2 small lemons
salt and pepper
any dried herbs*, optional
*I used some rosemary, summer savory...next time I will add some garlic as well... or some smoked paprika, cayenne or whatever comes my way:).

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Rinse entire chicken in cold water...remove giblets first. Cut off the inside fat and dry thoroughly with paper towels.

3. Season the chicken inside and out with lots of salt and pepper... and herbs if using....I didn't use garlic this time around, but would love to next time...finely grated I think or it might burn. I baked the chicken immediately after salting...though next time I will let the chicken stay salted for a few hours...or even overnight.

4. Wash lemons and dry them. Roll the lemons back and forth...so as to soften them up. Pierce each of them about 10 times or so until until the lemons are pierced all the way around. Stuff the lemons in the cavity of the chicken.

5. Use toothpicks, skewers or trussing string to close the cavity opening... as best you can. Just don't make it so airtight(as they say the chicken could explode). Tie the chicken's legs together with string.

6. Place chicken breast-side down into a large (ungreased) roasting pan. I place a small piece of parchment paper underneath...as the chicken can have the tendency to stick.

7. Roast in the upper third of the oven for about 30 minutes. Turn chicken over( breast side is up). Roast chicken for another extra 30 minutes.

8. Increase oven temp. to 400°F and roast for 20 minutes longer or until chicken is cooked through...check it with a meat thermometer.

9. Remove chicken from oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes before carving.
The Potatoes: I like this technique of making roast potatoes... I once saw it done by an Australian chef, though I have to admit it is MUCH more tedious doing it this way...but it does give you crispy and golden potatoes with a soft-ish interior. Cutting them in slices will give you extra surface area ... for even browning... all over.

Posted~ in case you'd like to try it....

1. Cut potatoes in 1/2 inch(or so) slices.
2. Place them in salted water and par-cook them for about 5-6 minutes( or so).
3. Drain and pat dry...you can drizzle a bit of olive oil on both sides of the potatoes and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast them at 425-450 turning them once. Roast until done....

OR...which is what I ended up doing...

1. Add a bit of olive oil to a skillet and brown them on both sides or until cooked...or lightly brown them and place them in the oven (on a parchment lined baking sheet) to completely cook/brown further. Adjust seasoning, if need be.....I know, I know... it's more complicated this way, so feel free to make the potatoes any way you prefer:).

9 comments:

Mihaela said...

Ellie, I'm glad you posted the recipe, the picture is great! ok, maybe it's not going to be published in a magazine, but it looks delicious to me :) I do that sometimes, I have a great dish with not so good pictures, and I have great pictures with a dish that I'm not so sure about :)
The potatoes looks so good, they remind me of the potatoes that the cooks at the restaurant used to make for me from already boiled potatoes (they had it for hashbrowns): they would cut it round like you did and pan fry it with seasonings and little lemon juice. I really miss those potatoes :) Have a wonderful day!

Andreea said...

I love your posts Ellie! Great recipes and tips. :)

About the food and the must take THE picture :)) same here.
A lot of recipes don't make it to the blog, same reasons you listed. :)

My daughter and my husband before they start eating they always ask ''gata? ai facut poze? putem sa mancam?'' :)
Is this team work or what? :)

Ellie said...

Mihaela, Thank you, you are so sweet!
And yes, you are right... there are those great pictures that don't get posted.....I think I'd rather have good recipes rather than beautiful photos.
You know, the potatoes were actually my husband's favorite:)....yes, it takes another step to par-cook them...but in the end I think they are totally worth it. Fluffy inside and crispy and golden brown on the outside.
My mom also adds a bit of lemon juice to her potatoes...I think it just livens them up a bit...love it with olive oil and lemon(Greek ladolemono)...and sometimes adding a bit of garlic with some fresh herbs.

Andreea, Aww...thank you so much! You brightened my day:)...gave me a chuckle in terms of how alike we are when it comes to posting our recipes. It's definitely team work at home...I often ask if the recipe is blog worthy:)...before it gets posted. Thanks for the visit:)...

Unknown said...

this has got me salivating, glad you posted.

Mihaela said...

I was reading what you girls said and I decided to leave another message :) My husband is very pacient while I'm taking pictures or sometimes he's not home, but almost all the times I ask him when I select the pictures: "babe, this one, or this one?" :) It's good to have a fresh eye looking at the pictures. Our husbands are so nice they support and understand us.

Speranta said...

Arata minunat ce frumos este rumenit puiul!!!trebuie sa incerc si eu reteta...
:)

Ellie said...

Jennifurla, Glad you like it:)..Thanks for stopping by.

Mihaela, For sure, our families play a huge role...so nice to have encouragement at home. And in the end... that's all that matters:).

Speranta, Multumesc mult! Imi pare bine ca iti place si tie:)...este usor de facut si puiul se rumeneste as de frumos.

megi said...

Hi Ellie, life has been pretty hectic lately and I never got a chance to let you know that I made the roasted potatoes the other day, we were having baked salmon and vegetables and when I saw the potatoes and how perfect they looked, I knew I had to make them, a hit as it is the case with all of your recipes. By the way, they now are my husband's favourite too.

We have the same problem when it comes to photos as well but as you said, I would rather have good recipes than beautiful photos with so-so recipes.

Have a wonderful week Ellie. :)

Ellie said...

Megi, Summer tends to be quite busy around here to:) So thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the potatoes...so glad you enjoyed them!

By the way, I so loved your fish soup...I even raved about it to my mom:). You know, I sampled some of the soup the following day...cold...and it was really delicious. I am thinking it would be a great soup to have in the summer...This one is all gone, but I am planning on making it again:)