~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Monday, August 23, 2010

Pickled Carrots and Daikon Radish...



Pickled Carrots and Daikon Radish...This recipe is super easy to make and doubles up as a side dish or as accompaniment to any sandwich. Sometimes I have carrots in my vegetable drawer that need to be used. This is a great dish to make and to have on hand for all sorts of dishes. I love the fact that I can make it ahead use it throughout the week....the flavor does intensify the longer it sits.
You can make just a carrot pickle ...or you can combine it with some daikon radish. The pickle is great on various sandwiches (Vietnamese Banh Mi, Asian flavored burgers, Falafel pita sandwich, etc). I'll be sharing with you 2 types of sandwiches that I made using this pickle....coming soon. But there are many uses...just be creative. It's so great to be able to use something other than lettuce on your sandwich....using pickled vegetables brings in a ton of flavor and sure makes for a different sort of sandwich. You can make the pickle spicy or skip the hot peppers altogether. And, if you like your pickle on the sweeter side, add a bit more sugar. Of course, you can easily add various herbs to make it different. Sometimes, I like it simple. Hope you enjoy....

You will need: You can easily double or triple...
1/2 lb daikon radish and carrots, julienned( I used 2 carrots and a 4 inch daikon radish)*
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 TBS white vinegar( I used white wine vinegar...you can also use rice vinegar)
1 TBS kosher salt
1 TBS sugar
1 garlic, grated finely( I used my microplane)
chile peppers( optional)
* you can do just carrots or just radish , if you like

Directions:

1. Julienne the carrots and daikon radish. I like to cut long slices on a bias and then cut in strips.
2. Place the carrots and radish in a clean jar.
3. In a bowl add water, vinegar, salt , sugar and grated garlic. Stir until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
4. Pour over carrots and radish.
5. Refrigerate for a few hours ...preferably overnight.
6. Serve with Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich, falafel sandwich, as a side dish, etc.

4 comments:

Rose said...

Ooh, this looks wonderful! I'm going to give this a try. I picked up a huge daikon yesterday. I used most of it, and had no idea what to do with the rest. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

Speranta said...

Imi place foarte mult ...Merita incercata reteta :)

Ellie said...

Rose, You are most welcome...I am so glad I could be of inspiration:)...I think you will like it.

Speranta,
Este foarte usor de facut si gustos. Cred ca o sa iti placa si tie.

DeAnna said...

Ah man, I love the pickled daikon's they serve at a local vietnamese restaurant, but can't seem to find them at Whole Foods -- I wonder if I'd find them at a Farmers Market out this way, I'll have to look now.