~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tomato and Corn Summer Salad...with Fresh Herbs


Tomato and Corn Summer Salad with Fresh Herbs...This year, I have had quite a bit of cilantro growing in my garden. Truthfully , I think the cilantro has taken over:)... I've even noticed some cilantro growing outside my enclosed garden...probably from seeds blown away by the wind from the previous year. But, I can't let the cilantro go to waste. So, I decided that maybe I need to dry some... for winter. Yet, I still have plenty of it, so I have been using it in a variety of dishes. Actually, I've been using cilantro everyday in whatever dish I can...I'll chop some and use it in my salad, in pasta dishes, in making cilantro pesto, in fresh tomato salad/salsa, in bean dips, in eggs for breakfast, in flatbreads, in marinades, etc....the list goes on. I really like cilantro...so I don't really mind having so much of it in the garden. I love that I can even use the seeds... which turn into coriander. I will grind the coriander seeds and use it as a spice in winter stews/dishes. In any case, I thought I would share with you a really flavorful summer salad that I have been making for a few years now. I had plenty of fresh green onion and herbs, so I decided to make this salad and share it with you. If you do not have any green onions, don't worry, just use some regular onion. I don't always make this salad according to exact ingredients. Sometimes, I will adjust according to what I have on hand.
The original recipe came from a Taste of Home magazine...I tried it not only because it looked and sounded good, but it also won first place in a corn contest. It had to be good. The dish sort of reminds me of a succotash, except that it doesn't have any lima beans. The original salad uses fresh corn, but I often substitute frozen corn... and it works great. I also like to adjust seasoning/dressing to taste. It allows me to be myself in the kitchen, as I don't always measure amounts. I do like how all the flavors combine so nicely...it makes for a tasty side dish or summer salad. It goes rather well with some grilled meats or fish. It is also a great picnic/potluck dish. Do feel free to look over the Original Recipe and make that version...or tweak it to your preference with ingredients you have on hand. A really simple, yet flavorful salad. Hope you enjoy...

You will need: adapted from Taste of Home

2 large tomatoes, chopped
1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced ( I used some from my garden...they were tiny)
1/4 cup chopped green onions(
you can always skip this, if you don't have)
2-3 TBS balsamic vinegar(sometimes I don't have...I'll skip it, or add a bit of lime/lemon juice)
2 TBS fresh basil, minced
1 TBS fresh cilantro, minced
salt to taste
pepper to taste
4 cups frozen corn, you could use fresh corn
2-3 garlic cloves,minced
1-2 TBS olive oil
2-3 tsps Dijon mustard

Directions:
Defrost corn under warm water and drain. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a large skillet, saute corn and garlic in oil for a couple of minutes or so. If using fresh corn saute until corn is tender. Stir in mustard.

Add to vegetable mixture; toss to coat. Serve with a slotted spoon.

3 comments:

Speranta said...

cred ca este tare gustoasa ...nu am incercat ...dar, voi incerca !

Mihaela said...

Ellie, imi place cum arata salata asta, poate o sa o incerc si eu, tocmai ce am niste porumb proaspat fiert :) Numai bine

Ellie said...

Multumesc Speranta si Mihaela, Sper sa va placa si voua:)...Sa aveti o zi placuta~Ellie