~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sesame Hamburger Buns...KAF

.

Sesame Hamburger Buns...KAF I love looking through the King Arthur blog....they have some amazing recipes. They even have step- by- step with photos and all. So, recently when I was looking through their archives, I came across this recipe for hamburger buns. I am always wanting to try a new bread recipe even during the summer! Now, I will usually make my soft dinner rolls when I want to make hamburger buns....I just form the rolls a bit bigger. But, this time around I was up to trying a different recipe...just to see the difference. The KAF hamburger bun recipe is just a tad bit different than my dinner rolls.... So, I tried them and liked them.
I really enjoyed the fact that these buns didn't require too much work. The mixer will usually do the hard work for you...the only thing you have to do is to wait for it to rise. I like to make them in the morning and have them ready by lunchtime. I will also make them and freeze them for later use.These rolls are not as soft as the store-bought version, but they do stand up to a burger patty without falling apart. Do feel free to make these rolls smaller... especially nice to use for sliders. Since summer is in full gear, I thought I would share this recipe with those of you who would like to try it. I know it involves the oven...and you might not want to turn it on, especially if it is hot in your area. In case you have a cooler day, you can bake them then and freeze them. We, on the other hand, have had a very cool summer...so I am still able to do some baking. Hope you enjoy....

You will need: adapted from King Arthur Flour
3/4 to 1 cup lukewarm water (start with 3/4 cup and add a bit more if it is too dry)
2 TBS butter
1 large egg
3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour( I used 2 cups AP +1 1/2 cups bread)
1/4 cup sugar( I used 3 TBS)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 TBS instant yeast

Glaze:
1 beaten egg

Directions:
In a mixer bowl, add all of the dough ingredients.Using a dough hook, knead the dough for about 5 minutes until you get a smooth dough. I used only 3/4 cup of water, but you may need a bit more depending on humidity. It is best to add 3/4 cup and then mix. The dough should not stick to the sides of the bowl...only at the bottom.
Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 hour, or until doubled. Plop the dough unto the counter and shape into a log about 3 inches in diameter. Cut 8 slices about 1 inch thick for large hamburger buns... or 10-12 pieces for smaller buns.
Now, with the end pieces I formed them into a ball, pinching the dough at the bottom. I noticed the end pieces rose much nicer than the slices. I think I prefer shaping the dough into balls and then flattening them a bit. The surface tension created when you form the dough into balls helps the dough rise higher....Both ways( sliced and ball-formed are great...you choose if you like them flatter or more rounded) Place the buns on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise for about an hour, until very puffy. Just make sure they have at least doubled in size. This definitely depends on your temp in the house.
Brush lightly with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake the buns in a preheated 375°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, till golden. Cool on a rack.

Toast if you like...and use it for other sandwiches other than hamburgers.

4 comments:

Speranta said...

Imi plac !Arata minunat ...ma tenteaza reteta ta...

Ellie said...

Speranta, Multumesc mult! Sa stii ca au iesit foarte bune...si aspectoase. Poate a doua oara o sa le face mai mici.

Bienchen said...

Hi Ellie, thanks for this really a great recipe! I tried it yesterday, the only thing I changed was, I used just 1 Tbs Sugar instead of 3 what you did! They are so tasty! Thanks again!

Ellie said...

Hi Bienchen, You are very welcome! SO glad you tried the recipe and liked it... I'm thrilled that you added only 1 TBS of sugar:). Glad to know that that you enjoyed the rolls...
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. It means a ton!