~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Monday, April 12, 2010

Egg Stuffed Baked Potato...


Egg Stuffed Baked Potato... Ok, so we LOVE eggs. And, if it were up to us, we would have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Seriously. But we don't. Since moving to Montana, we've been really blessed to be given fresh eggs from a couple who actually raise their own chickens... yes, the really, really fresh kind of eggs. Sometimes, we even receive goose eggs! Those are always a ton of fun. The whole egg fills up the entire skillet:).
I enjoy making the eggs in a variety of ways...we like to have them poached, fried, soft boiled and even scrambled. Every once in awhile, I deviate from the normal way of cooking eggs...as was the case with this posted recipe...
I was inspired by the recipe found on the Village Cook ... A leftover baked potato stuffed with egg...appropriately called, Idaho Sunrise Potatoes. Cute. I just knew that I would make them. Why, I even made it that same day:)... What a wonderful way to have a stuffed potato. Of course, you gotta like eggs and potatoes. But, in case you don't like eggs or if you are allergic to eggs, you might have to settle for a regular stuffed potato...that isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are lots of fillings you can use, so be creative. Try some sauteed spinach, sauteed mushrooms, even sauteed bell peppers. You can even make it Mexican( roasted chiles, salsa, etc...) Greek( feta cheese, olives etc).... Try to use what you have on hand.
I thought you might one day like to try this variation of the classic baked stuffed potato. You can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner:)... There is another version on Real Simple that shows you a similar recipe using the whole potato(including the inside). At the bottom of the post, you will see what I made with the inside of the potato. It was just something I came up with at the spur of the moment. I hope you enjoy...

You will need: Adapted from the Village Cook

2 baked potatoes
2 eggs
bacon/ham, cooked and diced
shredded cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper
cilantro/ parsley/chives
butter/cream

Directions:

Use a knife to carefully cut off the top third of the potato. With a spoon, hollow out the middle of the potato.
Take out as much of the inside potato as you like. You do want to have enough room to be able to place the egg, cheese, ham, etc.
Place some butter/ cream in the middle of each bowl. Season with some salt and pepper. You can add some ham/ bacon/cheese or whatever filling you like, making sure you leave enough room for the egg.Then gently break an egg into each bowl, careful not to break the yolk. Top with some more bacon, cheese, and then season with salt and pepper.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until the egg whites are set. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro/parsley/chives. Serve immediately.

What to do with leftover potato pulp?: Make some potato "puffs"...

Add an egg to the leftover potato pulp(from 2 baked potatoes), ham, chives, cheese....Mix thoroughly.

Place in buttered mini muffin tins... sprinkle with extra cheese and chives.


Bake at 350 until nicely puffed...

43 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

What a great idea!! And such a pretty presentation. I love your potato puffs, brilliant!!

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Nice idea....

Speranta said...

Ce frumos arata ...imi plac foarte mult retetele tale !

Ellie said...

Andrea,
Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words. Glad you liked it!

Sailaja and Speranta, Thank you... ~Ellie

Deborah Dowd said...

The simplest things show pure genius- An egg in a potato skin is just such an idea!

the village cook said...

Thank you for linking back to me! I love what you did with the filling! Yum!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

this looks SOOOOOOOOO good. sorry, I don't usually use o many OOOs but this looks amazing! I love eggs. I love potatoes. yum!

Ellie said...

Deborah, Thanks for stopping by... I, too though it was a neat idea:)!

The Village cook, Thanks for stopping by...it is I who should thank you for the inspiration!

Damaris, Oh, I am so glad you like the idea...simple ingredients yet so elegant. I hope you can give it a try:).

Javier said...

Ellie, I love your recipe. I'd like to share with you my personal egg recipe.

Eggs with asparragus and ham

The eggs must be at natural temperature.
First, put water in a pan to cover the eggs.
The water must reach just 60ºC.
Then, put the eggs into the water for 20 minutes.
Take the eggs off and remove the shell.

And then serve the eggs with fried asparragus and Iberian ham.

I hope you enjoy it.
Bye

Ellie said...

Javier, Thanks for stopping by...and for the recipe idea. Sounds wonderful! My mom makes the eggs using a similar technique...letting the eggs cook in the hot water with the heat off. I love eggs with ham and asparagus...~Ellie

helen said...

i just made this, and they were so delicious, i'm thinking about making them again for the morning, lol.... and the puffs were just amazing. I just stumbled across your blog and can't wait to make the other recipes.

Ellie said...

Helen, Welcome to my blog and thanks so much for the feedback...I love to hear from readers especially after they've tried a recipe and liked it:). So glad you liked the potato puffs as well...it's a neat way to use the potato pulp.

Hope you enjoy looking through my other recipes...Enjoy! ~Ellie

Rock said...

I love your blog,
found it because of the picture of the egg baked inside a potato.
I 'm always looking for cool recipes and that one is a real gem.
I have a recipe blog that you might like to check out at
http://rocksrecipies.blogspot.com/

Ellie said...

Rock, Thanks for stopping by...yes, I too love unique and different recipes...this one is unique as well as tasty. You can easily be creative...
Took a look at your blog...you have quite a few recipes!

De (au)Gustibus said...

Excellent! I think the idea of adding the cheese and the ham also on top of the egg is great. If you want to check my result: http://deaugustibus.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/egg-stuffed-baked-potato-by-home-cooking-in-montana/
Thanks for the recipe!!

Ellie said...

De (au) Gustibus, Wonderful! Glad you enjoyed the recipe. I love the addition of the cheese and ham on top. I think it adds that extra flavor and it balances out the amount of potato....so you don't have too much potato.I also find that topping the egg with cheese and ham also protects it as it bakes.

Anyway, so glad you liked the recipe.

dining room table said...

Wow! This is something so amazing! I definitely love it! What a very nice idea.

Ellie said...

Dining room table, So glad you like the idea...it's quite fun to be creative with the fillings...this way the dish can be made over and over without being to boring:)...Thanks for stopping by!

Lacey said...

Important Question: Do I use a pre-baked baked potato, or a baked potato that hasn't been baked yet?

Ellie said...

Lacey, Yes, you will use a pre-baked potato...one that's already been cooked. You can see it in the photos... Hope that helps.

Ali said...

ohmyword...we are due for a chilly, wet day tomorrow and this is on the lunch menu for sure!! I love that you posted a recipe for the leftover potato pulp as well. Genius!!

Ellie said...

Me, Hope you enjoy the egg stuffed potatoes... and that you stay warm:)...
I think the potatoes are best when filled with all sorts of goodies, so be creative and use what you like.
Thanks for stopping by... I appreciate it.

Val said...

we had these for dinner last night, the kids loved them!! wish i had made more, next time i will. has anyone tried freezing them? i think the puffs would be great for school mornings, not sure that the stuffed potatoes would heat well.

Ellie said...

Val, Oh, I am so glad the kids loved them.... thank you SO much for taking the time to share your feedback. I really appreciate it ... just makes me so happy to know that others are trying out the recipes and enjoying them.
As for freezing them, I probably wouldn't... just because potatoes in general don't freeze well, at least what I noticed from my own personal experience. Hope that helps.

Ali.... said...

Just made these tonight, and they were FANTASTIC! Thanks for the idea!

Ellie said...

Ali, You are welcome.... I am so glad you liked the potato. Really appreciate you taking the time to stop by and share your feedback.
Have a great day!

Laura said...

They are baking now... Thank you for the great idea!

Ellie said...

Laura, You are welcome! Thanks you for trying out the recipe... hope you enjoyed them!

Anonymous said...

Way late to the game, but I was looking for an alternative for scotch eggs...
I wonder if you could stuff the potato with the potato puff mixture instead of the whole egg? It seems to me that if it worked in the muffin pan, it should work in the potato, but I wondered if you had ever tried it?

Ellie said...

Ghstllady1522, You know, I've never tried it, but what a great idea! I suppose it would be similar to a stuffed baked potato. It should work with the puff mixture, though the pan does provide the extra heat that would help the potato mixture to "puff" up a bit more. However, I think it's definitely worth trying. Would love to hear from you if you do try it.

Charlotte said...

Thanks for the recipe, Ellie. It looks delicious! I look forward to trying it.

Ellie said...

Charlotte,
Oh, you are very welcome! I sure hope you enjoy it:)... It's easily adaptable to a variety of ingredients. Thanks for stopping by:).

Claudio said...

L'aspetto sembra appetitoso. Ricetta semplice ma efficace!

Ellie said...

Claudio, Grazie per il tuo commento gentile! Spero che si può dare la ricetta una prova.

Anonymous said...

I'm a college student just learning how to cook for myself and THIS RECIPE WAS THE BEST! I felt high after eating it, but maybe that's just because I'm a poor starving creature at this point in the learning process and I really needed a serious meal, I don't know. Anyway, I'd recommend this recipe to anyone in my position. Thank you!

Ellie said...

Anon, You are welcome:)! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the stuffed potato.

It's nice to hear you were able to enjoy a delicious "meal" even as a college student learning on your own. Great job for cooking at home:)!

Thanks a bunch for taking time to stop by and share your feedback. Really appreciate it!

Monica Rouse said...

I just made this and had to open my laptop and come back to your site and say YOU ROCK! That totally hit the spot! I'm doing Whole30 and breakfast was getting kinda redundant... this one was PERFECT! Potato, cut up beef hot dog (no added sugar or nitrates), egg, broccoli, onion, salt, pepper and a little habanero salsa, all baked inside... AWESOME!!! And the puffs are such a great idea. Again, YOU ROCK.

Ellie said...

Monica, Aww... thanks for you sweet comment. SO glad I could be of inspiration for your breakfast:)! Thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the stuffed potato... made my day!

And thanks a ton for sharing your feedback and letting me know. I really appreciate it. The neat part about the recipe is that you can customize it... and you certainly did:).

Anonymous said...

Can the eggs be scrambled first and poured over the "stuff" inside?

Ellie said...

Anon, I haven't tried it using scrambled eggs... the only thing I'd worry about is not getting the eggs to dry out in the baking process, as they are already cooked.

But if you keep the scrambled eggs a bit wet(cook it 3/4 of the way) and then stuff the potato, well, it should work.

I might cover the potato though... as the scrambled eggs could get quite dry during baking... you might even protect them with a layer of cheese. Hope that helps... and enjoy!

Unknown said...

Hmm, I took Anon's question to meaning scrambling the eggs in a bowl and then pouring it in, not pre-cooking scrambled eggs and using those.

Liz said...

Hi Ellie,
I was getting tired of home fries with my eggs and gave this recipe a try. It is delicious and very filling. I made it with breakfast sausage, onions and cheese. I only had Yukon Gold potatoes, they aren't huge like some varieties, but I only used one and also made the puff recipe you gave and I am stuffed! This would be a great dinner recipe too. I like the versatility of it and am already making lists of future stuffing ideas...maybe pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese... :). Thanks for another great recipe!

Ellie said...

Hi Liz,

Yes, I agree this is definitely a filling dish! I love your variation of breakfast sausage, onions and cheese... it sounds delicious, as those are some of my favorite flavors.

I am so glad you stopped by and shared your feedback because it gives me ideas for tonight's dinner. I was wondering what I should do tonight:). The pizza flavor one sounds great too... and I think it would be especially nice to do a "lasagna" one, especially when you have leftover sauce, cheese, etc.

I am so glad you were inspired and for taking the time to write... Have a wonderful day!