~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Monday, August 31, 2009

Grilled Vegetables...Including Potatoes!

Grilled Vegetables...Including Potatoes! I harvested my first big zucchini recently and I wanted to put it to good use. I love having a garden.... just to be able to go and pick some fresh herbs is a blessing indeed. It makes such a difference to be able to use fresh ingredients in a dish. I don't know about you, but I think it makes the dish taste 100 times better. It is also a great bonus when you can harvest vegetables...right from your own garden. So, it was rather exciting to see my zucchini plant produce such a big zucchini. I know most of you might not think that it is such a big deal. But lately, my zucchini plants have had to deal with some very cold summer weather. They have had to brace against some really heavy hailstorms...and who knows, maybe even a lack of minerals in the soil. You know, it is quite interesting how attached I have become to my little garden:). I was rather glad that my zucchini survived. Naturally, I wanted to make the best of my zucchini and put it to good use. I didn't want to use it in any dessert recipe... I just wanted to keep it simple. I decided to grill it. As you well know, zucchini doesn't have that much flavor...which is why it can be used in desserts. So, in order to bring some flavor to the zucchini, I chose to use garlic. You can't go wrong with garlic! Some time ago, I had seen a recipe on grilled potato wedges. I was intrigued at the time....but I had forgotten about it. But the other day, when I wanted to make something quick, I remembered the potatoes:)...I grilled them alongside the zucchini . They were delicious. Of course, I had to make some sort of meat for my husband:)...chicken sausages. A rather quick meal in a matter of minutes.
You will need:.
For the zucchini:
1 extra large zucchini (or 2 medium), sliced diagonally
1 large garlic, crushed
2 TBS olive oil
salt/pepper to taste
* you can easily add some favorite herb as well
Marinade for the potatoes:
1 ex-large baking potato (or 2 medium), cut in wedges
1 large garlic, crushed
2 TBS olive oil
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 -1 tsp dill or rosemary, dried or fresh
pinch of paprika(optional)
pinch of cayenne pepper(chile flakes),optional
salt/pepper to taste
Directions:
Pre-heat your grill on high. In a bowl, mix all of the zucchini marinade ingredients. Set aside. In a second bowl mix all of the potato marinade ingredients. Set aside.
In the meantime, cut your potato(es) in wedges. Place the potato wedges in a single layer on a microwave dish. Cook wedges on high for 4 minutes(or until almost done). If, you don't want to use the microwave, I think you can also just grill them on low until done.
Add the marinade and toss to coat all the pieces. Set aside.
Cut the zucchini in diagonal slices. They should be on the thicker side (maybe about 1/2 inch). Toss with zucchini marinade and coat all zucchini pieces well.
Place on both zucchini and potatoes on hot grill and lower heat to medium.
Cook on both sides until you see grill marks and potatoes are cooked through.

3 comments:

Sailaja Damodaran said...

very interesting....must try

Olga said...

I usually steam potato wedges before I put them on the grill, so that is another option for those who don't want to microwave.

Ellie said...

Olga,
Thanks for sharing the idea for steaming the potatoes. I just bought a new rice cooker...it would be great to steam them in that.Wonderful idea and thanks for stopping by.~Ellie