~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Friday, March 6, 2009

Layered Cobb Salad


Layered Cobb Salad.... This is my version of a Cobb salad... without the bacon. Is there such a thing as a Cobb salad without bacon? I just didn't have any around the house, so I left it out:). But add some bacon, if you have it on hand. I originally saw this cute idea on a food blog awhile back. I didn't bookmark it though, so I did my best to duplicate it. I thought how cute!...to be able to turn an ordinary salad into something a bit more fancy.

You can definitely play around with the ingredients and the salad dressing. You can make a lighter salad dressing...a simple yogurt dressing will cut down quite a few calories. But I think the fun part about this, is that you can use whatever dressing or ingredients you like or have around the house. This is definitely a fork and knife salad. You can add a crostini on the side or use croutons or both. I didn't have any blue cheese, so I used what I had on hand...some cambozola cheese. But this is how I made it. Hope you enjoy...

You will need:

  • Iceburg lettuce leaves
  • diced tomatoes
  • diced red/sweet onion
  • sliced cucumber
  • sliced boiled egg
  • blue cheese, crumbled
  • avocado, diced
  • croutons
  • bacon bits
  • salad dressing of your choice
Directions:
1. Wash and pat dry the iceburg lettuce leaves.
2. Cut out circles using a round cutter.
 
I used a biscuit cutter about 3 inch in diameter. You can definitely use a larger one. I think if the circle is smaller than 3 inch, it might topple on you. I think a 4 inch would be ideal.
3. Place a round circle of lettuce on plate add about 2-3 tsps of avocado(sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt).
4. Add second lettuce circle.
5. Place about 2-3 tsps of diced tomato.
5. Add third lettuce circle.
6. Place 2-3 slices of hard boiled egg.
7. Add fourth lettuce circle.
8. Place 2-3 slices of cucumber with about 1 tsp diced onion.
9. Add last layer of lettuce.
10. Top with blue cheese/bacon bits/ croutons.
11. Pour a bit of salad dressing.
12. Arrange (if you like) some croutons and/or any ingredients you may like around. Serve immediately.

No comments: