~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chicken Cacciatore (Food Network)


Chicken Cacciatore... This is such a simple recipe and it comes together quite quickly. It really doesn't require too many ingredients. There are many versions of this...I chose to use one from Food Network found here . It is more of a rustic version. Ok, maybe I changed it up a bit...not much.:)

I had these nice plump chicken legs, four to be exact. I also skinned them to cut down on the fat. I had all the ingredients except some of the herbs it asked for in the recipe. I also preferred to add some yellow pepper, for color mostly. Usually, cacciatore is cooked for a long time. This dish however, is cooked rather quickly so it kind of tastes a bit fresher.

I used canned tomatoes, but I think that next time I would like to use fresh tomatoes. Well here is my version and what I used. Hope you enjoy...

You will need:
4 chicken legs, skinless
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper,diced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup flour, for dredging
2-3 TBS olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes, with juice
3/4 cup chicken stock
salt /pepper to taste
1-2 tsp basil (I used freeze dried...all I had...but, you can use fresh)
1 tsp rosemary,dried (I didn't have oregano)

Directions:
1. Season chicken legs with salt and pepper.
2. Dredge in flour.
3. In a skillet, add oil heat till hot.
4. Add chicken and brown all sides.
Chicken doesn't have to be completely cooked through.
5. Remove from skillet and set aside.
6. Add onion and bell peppers .
7. Cook till soft about 5-10 minutes.
8. Add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds.Then add the wine .
9. Cook for a few minutes till the alcohol evaporates. Add the tomatoes, herbs.
10. Add the chicken.
11. Finally, add the chicken broth.
12. Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer. Cook till chicken is cooked through.
You can cover it to help the chicken cook faster.

No comments: