~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Friday, March 13, 2009

All-American Stuffed Flank Steak


All-American Stuffed Flank Steak.... I originally came upon this recipe while leafing through a Cuisine-At-Home Magazine (April 2005 issue). I have to admit that I like to try various and unique recipes. This recipe fit that category. The picture was so appealing, that I was eager to try it. It had such beautiful color contrast from the spinach and Yukon gold potatoes.

However, I ended up having to change the recipe up a bit, because of my lack of some ingredients. I didn't have any Yukon gold potatoes....just plain old russet potatoes, I only had Colby Jack cheese in the house, and I had no bacon. But, let me tell you, it was just as delicious and presentable. My husband LOVED it! Really, that is all that mattered.

The meat was tender and the potatoes were very flavorful. I think, next time, I would like to use the Yukon and sharp cheddar to see the color contrast. Maybe, I would puree the spinach as well. It is actually a fun recipe....a more modern take on the classic steak and baked potato. In this case, it's an all-in-one meal.

This is great served with a crisp salad and maybe a corn on the cob. I just love corn, so I thought that would be a great addition:). Really, you can serve it anyway you like it...maybe with some creamed cauliflower puree. Hope you enjoy...

You will need:
2 (10 oz bags) fresh spinach or 1 (16 oz bag) frozen spinach
1 1/2 cups(3/4 lb) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled (I used about 3 medium)
1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated ( I used slightly less)
5 slices bacon, diced, fried (I omitted)
1 flank steak (1 1/2 lb-2 lb)
1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
2-3 garlic cloves (optional)
1 TBS dried onion flakes (optional)
2 TBS oil
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes

Directions:
1. Cook spinach, if using fresh.
2. Drain well, then chop, season with salt and red pepper flakes.I used chopped frozen spinach and just drained and seasoned it.
3. Boil potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes. I usually always add some garlic cloves to the boiling potatoes for extra flavor.
4. Drain well, return them to the pot, and dry over medium heat.
5. Off heat, mash lightly into small chunks, then stir in cheese, fried bacon, and salt/pepper to taste.
I added some dried onion flakes for additional flavor.

Prepare steak:
1. Score the meat down the center , going with the grain of the steak (I obviously didn't...I was too excited to start on it, didn't pay attention, and it still worked out. Next time, I will pay attention!)
2. Make sure you don't cut all the way through the steak, just halfway.
3. Cut through the top portion creating a "flap" almost to the end,but not through. You want to butterfly it.
4. Do the same with the other side. Avoid cutting the flaps too thin or it could tear.. You should have a long piece of flank steak.
5. Place plastic wrap and pound to about a 1/2 inch thickness. Be careful not to over pound as the meat can tear up on you.
6. You should be able to roll a good spiral.
7. Season steak with some salt and pepper. Place spinach all over the steak.
8.Top with cheesy potatoes.
9. Roll up like a carpet:).
10. Tie snugly with kitchen twine to keep the filling inside.
11. Sear the steak oil(2 TBS) in oven proof skillet over medium heat on all sides.
12. Brush with some barbecue sauce. Make sure the seam is on the bottom before placing in the oven. 13. 13. Place in a preheated 400 deg.F oven for 30 minutes or until it reaches 140 for med-rare.
14. Let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Don't forget to remove the kitchen twine.
15. Serve with more BBQ sauce or with some sour cream mixed with chives.

No comments: