~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Caramel Sauce



Caramel Sauce...I am sure you've all tried making caramel sauce and having the sugar crystalize.No?...Well, I have..... and having to deal with brushing the sides of the pan with a brush so that the sugar crystals will dissolve (not to mention that you can't stir or it will cause your caramel to fail).... really that is not my cup of tea. So, I searched for a "foolproof" caramel sauce. I finally came upon a good one ...one that makes sense to me! This involves you covering the pan so that there will be condensation which in turn "brushes the sugar crystals on the sides of the pan" Really, all it does is to mimic the process that I didn't want to deal with...so, I think this will do for me! For this recipe, I halved the ingredients and forgot to heat the cream and it still came out. So, in my book this is a great recipe. Happy to share it with you! Hope you enjoy...

Ingredients:~adapted from CDKITCHEN.COM~

1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream, heated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 2 TBS Irish cream

Directions:
1. Place the sugar and water in a medium, heavy saucepan.
2. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, swirling occasionally I just swirl the pot and do not use any spatula or wooden spoon.
3. Cover the pan, raise heat to medium-high, and cook for 2 minutes, or until the liquid gives off large, thick bubbles.
You will notice some condensation.
4. Remove the cover and cook, swirling the syrup, until it turns golden brown.
Be careful so as not to over brown or burn. Keep an eye on it ...it shouldn't take too long.
5. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the butter with a wooden spoon.
6. Add the cream, stirring constantly, then add the vanilla or any flavoring you want.
I used Irish cream to make it my own!
7. Return the pan to low heat and stir constantly until any lumps have melted and the syrup is smooth.

Serve warm over ice cream or cake, or pour into a jar, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

No comments: