~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Monday, November 10, 2008

Spiced Pumpkin Bread


Spiced Pumpkin Bread...What is Fall without a pumpkin bread? I recently tried this recipe from America's Kitchen (can you tell I like their recipes?!). It was a wonderful bread... moist and flavorful. I of course had to do my own version ...nothing of big change. I just didn't have canned pumpkin like the recipe called for. But, I did have some pumpkin that I had baked and frozen for recipes like this. I processed it and made it like a paste. It worked wonderfully!

I baked 2 breads ... just I wanted to see how different flavors go with this bread. I made a coconut and chocolate chip... loved the flavors. I also made the original recipe with pecans and cranberries. It batter looked so beautiful when stirring it... the colors were so fall like! This bread freezes very well... good to keep for that cup of tea or coffee. Hope you enjoy...

NOTE: I use this recipe when making pumpkin bread nowadays... easier and uses oil instead of butter.  

Tip: Be sure to buy unsweetened canned pumpkin...
You can also bake this bread in muffin tins..... just decrease the time about half the baking time or until toothpick comes out clean.

You will need:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin (not pie filling)*
1 cup sugar
8 TBS (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
2 tsps vanilla
1 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
I also added some almond flavoring

*I used 2 cups of homemade pureed pumpkin in my recipe... for the 15 oz can.
** I used 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of all the spices they listed.
*** Also, I noticed that the baking time was a bit different for me...they say to bake for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Mine took well over an hour... So, check and double check to make sure it is cooked completely and that the toothpick when inserted comes out clean.

Directions:
~Preheat oven to 350 deg F~
1. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 loaf pan...(I always cut a piece of parchment for the bottom to ensure that the bread will come out.) Set aside.
2. Whisk the flour, baking soda,baking powder, cinnamon,salt,spices in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, whisk the pumpkin,sugar,melted butter, eggs and vanilla together until smooth.
3. Gently fold the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined (do not over mix).
4. Gently fold the pecans and cranberries (if using). The batter will be very thick.
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
6. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached... about 45 -55 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
7. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool for 1 hr before serving.

No comments: