Vidalia Onion Dip.... Just a simple recipe for a quick dip.Something different.... An alternative to the usual dips that are heavier and loaded with cheese and then baked. The only real preparation is cooking the onions. It is great served with pita chips or toasted bagel bites. In my case, I used thinly sliced bagel slices, toasted them and cut them into wedges.
These are the proportions I used. But, really you can play around with the amounts to suit your taste. Hope yo enjoy...
- 1 vidalia onion (diced fine) ....really, think you can use any onion here
- 1 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS finely chopped chives
- 2 TBS softened cream cheese
- 1-2 tsp granulated onion powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
2. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Do not over brown... lower heat if necessary. Let cool.
3. In a bowl, combine onions, sour cream, cream cheese, vinegar, onion powder and chives; adjust seasoning.
4. Chill dip until slightly thickened, about 1 hour; or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Serve with potato chips, crackers or bagel chips.