Peach Pie.... I had a few ripe peaches and what better way to use them than in a Peach Pie!
This recipe actually came about with ingredients I had on hand. I had a frozen pie crust dough that I had made previously. I thought I would use a crumb topping to top the pie off with instead of adding another pie crust on top. We like more filling than dough in this case.
It actually came out great. So here is how I made mine. Hope you enjoy...
- single or double pie crust*
- 5 large peaches
- 2-3 TBS lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3-4 TBS cornstarch( depends how juicy your peaches are)
- 1-2 tsps vanilla
- pinch of cinnamon/nutmeg, optional
- *I used 1 pie crust to cover a 9 inch pie plate.... and a crumb topping, but you can use a second pie crust.
Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
2. Tuck in the excess dough and pinch to give it a crimped look. Place in fridge until needed.
Next make the Filling:
1. Peel and slice peaches thickly.
2. Sprinkle some lemon juice over the peaches(2-3 TBS or to taste). Toss gently
3. In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar ,1/4 brown sugar,4 TBS cornstarch, a splash of vanilla, and a pinch of cinnamon/nutmeg (or omit if you like).
4. Toss the peaches with the sugar mixture until combined.
5 Remove pie crust plate from fridge and place peaches in the pie plate.
5. Sprinkle with a crumb topping or another pie crust. I used a simple crumb topping. ( 1/2 c flour 1/2 sugar 1/4 cup butter...Mix in butter with a fork just until the topping is crumbly. ... you can make any streusel and add nuts as well if you are a nut lover or some oats).
6. Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 45-60 minutes(or so)... or until filling is bubbly-thick and not watery. I baked mine for about 65 minutes as I kept opening the oven door to check and see if it was done:).
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream.