~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Best Ever Bagels




Best Ever Bagels... Who would have that you could make your bakery bagels at home!! Plump and flavorful.... right in your own kitchen. They freeze very well ( I actually recommend freezing them) and are great toasted as well as plain. Eat it anyway you like it...they are delicious either way.
I have done this recipe over and over....they always come out great! I like making my own bagels since you know exactly what goes in them. I love the fact that you can make a whole variety of them by varying the toppings. You can also implement some of the topping ingredients right into the dough as you shape them for the last rise. I love to knead in the dough some grated Swiss cheese or any kind of cheese I have on hand. Hope you enjoy...

Tips for toppings: Dried onion flakes, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, grated Parmesan, Swiss, cheddar cheese, diced pickled jalapenos, even dried dill...maybe even sun dried tomatoes and basil...you get the idea:) Have fun and enjoy!

Dough Ingredients:
  • 6 2/3 -7 cups white bread flour (I like to use King Arthur)
  • 1 TBS table salt
  • 1 TBS instant yeast
  • 2 TBS sugar
  • 1 TBS oil
  • 2 1/4 cups warm water(110˚-115˚)

Glaze:
  • 1 beaten egg + toppings

Directions:
1. Combine flour, salt and yeast in a mixer bowl( I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer here to do the heavy work of kneading).
2. Add sugar and oil to the water and pour over the dry ingredients.
3. Knead well for about 7-8 minutes using the kneading attachment on your mixer. You should use the med/low speed(2/3 on the Kitchenaid mixer). The dough should barely cling only to the bottom of the mixer bowl and definitely not the sides.
4. Form into a ball and put into an oiled bowl turning once to coat dough.
5. Cover with plastic and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours... or until at least doubled. In the winter, I usually preheat my oven for a minute(or so) until it is nice and cozy..not hot. Turn off the oven and let the dough rise in the oven free from drafts. In the summer I usually don't warm up the oven for proofing.
6. Take a lemon size chunk of dough and form into a ball. Do not punch dough down and deflate. I noticed that it won't rise as much if you do this.
7. Poke hole in the middle and stretch out a bit (in the form of a bagel). Make sure the hole is at least the size of a 25 cent coin piece ...this way you can still see the hole after it has risen. Make about 15 pieces. 8. Let rise 20-25 minutes in a warm environment. The bagels will not rise if it is too cold of an environment. You should see that they have puffed up a bit. You don't want them to over-rise either, as they will absorb too much water when boiled.
9. In a large pot, boil about 6-8 cups of water and add 5 tsp baking soda along with 2 TBS sugar.
10. Bring water to a boil.
11. Reduce heat to low and boil 2- 3 bagels at a time for about a minute on the top side of the bagel . I usually do not turn the bagel to boil on the underside as I noticed that it can get too soggy. 12. Lift each bagel with a slotted spatula and drain all the water.
13. Place on an oiled cookie sheet (bottom side down) or on a parchment lined cookie sheet. ( I prefer the parchment as it makes the cleaning easier)
14. Brush the bagels with a beaten egg and sprinkle your favorite toppings.
15. Preheat oven to 375 deg F, place in middle rack, and bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned.

15 comments:

Q. said...

I made homemade bagels for the first time last week and LOVED them. Was shocked at how easy it was. Nothing as good as a bagel right out of the oven. Yours look amazing.

Anne Coleman said...

ONCE - I've made bagels once and I need to do it again. This is just the impetus I need - beautiful!

Ellie said...

Q,
Thanks for stopping by...I agree, nothing beats a freshly baked bagel. Thanks.

Anne,
Thank you! Homemade bagels really are worth it...~Ellie

Srivalli said...

That looks really so good..I have been waiting for some bagel recipes..will surely have this bookmarked and make it soon!...

Ellie said...

Srivalli,
I think you will really like these bagels. Just remember to let the dough rise in a warm area and knead for about 8 minutes. They are truly worth the effort.~Ellie

Toni said...

I have tried your grilled pizza without a grill(it was quite easy to translate to do it on an electric griddle--my husband loved it). My question is: will this dough freeze okay?

Ellie said...

Toni, Wow, what a great idea to use a griddle! Now you have me wanting to do the same:).So glad you liked it.

Yes, you can freeze any bread dough... as well as this bagel dough recipe. You can typically keep the dough frozen for about 3 months(tightly wrapped). Before using, you will need to completely defrost it and then let it get to room temp at least...or maybe a tad bit warmer. You can then proceed with baking(grilling it.~Ellie

Anonymous said...

Hi, for the bagels you recommend using a Kitchenaid stand mixer. I do not have one. If I was to kneed it by hand, how long?

Ellie said...

Anon, If you don't have a mixer, you can knead the dough for a bit longer maybe about 15 minutes. But you will need to mix and knead until the dough is quite smooth and elastic. It's a wonderful dough to work with... Not sticky. Hope you enjoy the bagels:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I'm also trying your lemon curd recipe with the shortcake crust. I appreciate the ideas, I hope they turn out half as good as they look.

Ellie said...

Anon, You are welcome! I hope the mini tarts come out for you as well... I love the lemon curd with fresh fruits. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I tried your bagles and once before tired another recipe, but i had the same problem. ;-( I just loose all my "puff up" when i try to take them out of the water? They look great till then, i have tried to boil them less/more time, have let them rise less and more time, but no matter what, they "deflate" when i take them out, no matter how careful i remove them??? Can you help? ;-(

Ellie said...

Anon, There are many factors that can affect the bagels... but here are a few that might be worth checking:

1. Using all purpose rather than a high protein bread flour.... the bread flour will help give the bagels a sturdier structure.
2. Not enough flour used in the dough... bagel dough is stiffer than a regular bread dough. So, in my recipe I have 6 2/3 cup -7 cups of flour, depending on humidity this amount can vary...but in my area, I find using 6 3/4 cups about right... even 7 cups will work. Using less flour will yield a stickier dough, and this dough isn't sticky at all.
3. Dough is rising too much after being shaped.... or too fast. Normal rise should only be about 20 minutes(they should still be puffy, but not double in size.)
4. Also while you bring the water to a boil, the heat should then be lowered to a simmer... as you don't want to place the bagels in a rolling boil. Otherwise, the bagel will be get deflated. The bagels should puff up in the simmering water. They will "deflate" a bit after they have been removed from the water....more like get shriveled up a bit. You will see the shriveling up when they are cooling down and toppings are applied. But I'd work quickly after they come out of the water... topping them as soon as they're cool enough to handle and then baking them.

In my experience, the slight bit of deflation(or wrinkling)is always corrected and made back up in the oven when baked. But I think the main thing to look for is to not let the bagels over-proof and to get them in the oven as quickly as possible.

I hope this helps a bit... and that you have success next time.

Patti H. said...

This was the second time I made bagels. I absolutely LOVE them. They are lighter than what we would buy at the grocery store. So I'm saving money, I know exactly what's in them and I'm playing with my new toy (my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer). Fun.

Ellie said...

Patti, Yay! I'm so glad you like one of my favorite recipes. These bagels have been made numerous times in my household... more times than I can remember:). I like to add all sorts of add-ins/ toppings, so they are never boring.

Yes, they are lighter than the store-bought version... not dense or overly chewy. But they are wonderful toasted!

Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it! Glad you get to use your KA mixer... does most of the job for you:). And yes, it's always nice to know exactly what goes in the food we eat.